Follow the Red Brick Road

I took the red brick road.

With two left feet, the 18-year-old version of me took her first step on the red bricks of the University of South Carolina’s Horseshoe. In flip flops, other people would—and still—trip over bricks popping out of place since the 1800s.

The pathway not only took me to classes in the English building to Education; it was there through the good and bad.

On Saturday, I went to the South Carolina Book Festival. I also revisited college roots walking the Horseshoe. The temperature was the perfect blend of warm with a cool breeze; something also rare in Columbia. Flowers blossomed in gardens behind the college’s oldest buildings. A group of high school students took prom pictures. Two expectant moms took photos in front of a Gamecock (school mascot) decorated wreath with baby items.

Taking photos triggered memories. How many times did I notice this or that? I remember the time …

I remember so many times on the red brick road. I took it to a sorority at a time when I battled extreme insecurity, and not long after, I hit the path running. Hand in hand, I walked with my college boyfriend. He talked Science. I spoke of books. It also ended.

But, the Horseshoe did not lead me to the same dead end as the man buried next to it.

It led me to my destiny as a writer and person. In 2006, I dreamed of writing this book. It required a little research. Lucky me, I was a History major, and I mean the nerdy kind who looked forward to going to specific libraries.

Off the red brick road stands South Carolina’s first library. Fat, white columns hold up the bricks. It is the hall of worship. It has called me so many times.

The same library intimidated me the first time I stepped inside for book research; not school research. I used every bit of research I could find from a moonshiner’s journal, to microfilm, and political pamphlets from the 1920s. Sons of the Edisto was born in the South Carolinana Library. Rebecca T. Dickinson, the writer, began there, too.

Before the book, I still fiddled with poetry and did not consider myself much of a fiction writer. I had written one story for a class about a girl trying to run out of Columbia at the time Sherman was destroying the city. Even though some in my class liked it, I’d grown sick of Civil War stories and how much that war defined parts of the Southern cannon.

One of the few World War I or Great War memorials to stand on its own without World War II.

The History

With the help of the South Carolinana library—whose digital library and newspaper archives I still use—I began a project to show history of a different nature. The red brick road led me to a time when women’s skirts became shorter. A time when the train delivered Ford Model-Ts to Bamberg’s dealership. The age when families began driving from New York to Miami despite the lack of concrete roads and strong tires. They stopped in little towns like Bamberg, and fed its economy. Yes, the economy was in bloom. Storefronts were filled.

And at the heart of my book, the research deals with cold facts of reality. The Ku Klux Klan existed. It had 5 million members across the United States, including New York. It was a group that never should have come into being.

Politicians used this group, that included educated men and women, to push its agendas. It was anti-immigrant, anti-Catholic and racist towards blacks, Jews, Irish and Eastern Europeans.

I conclude the history lesson.

Without my walks on the red brick road, I would not have learned some tough lessons. I also would not have the story that has led me to write.

Follow your red brick road wherever it might lead.

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

9 thoughts on “Follow the Red Brick Road

1. Elliot May 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM Reply

Good post Rebecca, I always find it interesting to see how other people arrived at where they are.

• rtd14 May 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM Reply

Thank you, Elliot. It is interesting. We cannot plan our paths. They sort of just guide us on the journey.

2. Sharon May 21, 2012 at 2:54 AM Reply

Rebecca, I really think your writing is getting better and better. I really like this post.

• rtd14 May 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM Reply

Thank you very much! I’m always trying to come up with fresh material even as I edit the old.

3. Vikki (The View Outside) May 21, 2012 at 6:33 AM Reply

Gorgeous photos honey and I am loving the new photo of you :)

• rtd14 May 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM Reply

Thank you, Vikki! That is very sweet of you to say!

4. befferkins May 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM Reply

Wow, those pictures reminded me of so much. I was there last year; Maymester was my last semester. I even went to the same book fair, which inspired me to write more. Who was there this year? Any interesting panels?

I remember the uneven bricks! You trip on them all the time, but it’s still funny to see other people tripping. And I miss that drooping tree in the Horseshoe.

• rtd14 May 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM Reply

Thank you. Sorry for such a late response. What did you take last year? Pat Conroy was there this year. He was the big speaker. Main Street Rag out of Charlotte, NC was there also. I like it when the small presses come. The only two panels I went to were the Nonfiction and Pat Conroy. I wanted to go to more, but I only had one day.

I tripped over the bricks all the time. Someone in front of me would trip at the same time. It’s funny to see the most graceful trip and look over their shoulder. I love the drooping tree too. The Horseshoe was my favorite spot on campus.

Don’t worry, I have one more posts about the book fair and some of what I heard along with pictures. I was going to post it Thursday, but I’ve worked non-stop between the schools and a June 20 deadline.

Thank you so much for your comment!

• befferkins May 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM

It was Children’s Literature. Best class ever.