What is Missing from Modern Movies?

I fall in love again.

Every time.

I want to grab an umbrella and dance outside. I wish I could tap and look as cool and casual as Gene Kelly in Singin’ in the Rain.

The movie celebrated its sixtieth anniversary this year. It showed on TCM tonight, and I remembered why I always fall in love again.

It’s the dancing, singing, acting and …

The writing.

Aside from the fact I am in love with Gene Kelly, I listened to the words delivered by the actors. I am certain writers, who’ve imagined their books as movies, and script writers think of actors who breathe life into their lines.

The lines were simple, a Hemingway touch.

Some were funny, a classic Hollywood touch.

The writing works.

I once wondered why classic Hollywood was considered the “Golden Era.” Why couldn’t films be as great today?

The classic recipe, as used in Singin’ in the Rain, begins on an empty page. The script writers knew how to write words in a way they were naturally spoken.

The scene in Debbie Reynold’s car, after Gene Kelly has jumped over vehicles in the street, proves my point. He is flirtatious, and she is not impressed. The lines are easy to deliver. You also remember them.

The movie begins with good writing.

I am inspired by old movies, books and music as a writer and author. I do not see the same penned passion in modern movies.

Something is missing.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I am certain it’s the writing.

Tagged: , , ,

7 thoughts on “What is Missing from Modern Movies?

1. Vikki (The View Outside) October 1, 2012 at 2:36 AM Reply

I LOVE this movie, but i didn’t realise it was the 60th anniversary this year.

I totally agree with you by the way :)

• rtd14 October 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM Reply

The movie was shown in theatres in the summer I think. It might’ve been the spring. It makes me happy every time I watch it. I also love the time period in which the movie takes place. Thanks, Vikki!

2. patriciawardkelly October 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM Reply

Dear Rebecca, You’re absolutely right about the writing. Thank you for your lovely post. Sincerely, Patricia Kelly (Mrs. Gene Kelly)

• rtd14 October 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM Reply

Dear Mrs. Patricia Kelly, I am truly honored you took time to read my post. I have a special place in my heart for Classic Hollywood, and I am beginning to read about the script writers behind those films. Thank you again for your comment! ~ Rebecca Dickinson

3. Beth October 5, 2012 at 1:38 AM Reply

I had never seen “Singing in the Rain” until this year, on Gene birthday! I saw it in the theatre on the big screen. I paid TWICE. The crowds were so enthusiastic! I agree, the magic is in the writing.
    Steven Spielberg , in 1987, received the Irving G. Thalberg award at the Oscars. He said, “I think it’s time to renew our romance with the [written] word”.
    I agree Rebecca, I am certain that the thing that is missing in today’s movies, the intangible, is the written word.

4. gelerts2007 October 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM Reply

I love this movie. And I went to see it when it hit the big screen this summer. I fell in love with it all over again. I have been saying for years they don’t make movies like they uses to. Gene is one of my favorites. This and “An American in Paris” and “Brigadoon” are my favorites.

5. kleeyaro October 27, 2012 at 1:08 PM Reply

The Classics are always the best. And if you get a chance to see them on the big screen (I saw The Birds recently), it’s so worth it.