By the Drink Published

By the Drink was published Sunday by Blue Ridge Literary Prose. I was excited to discover the new online literary magazine.

It is my first contemporary story to be published, and my fifth creative publication.

I wrote the original draft of By the Drink in June 2011. It was the first contemporary story I considered to be of any worth. By the Drink was the first story in which I wrote about those who would suffer as a result of the economy.

I have edited the story multiple times.

Editing is a process I have learned to perfect in the last three years.

I call my editing style the turtle approach.

For example, I have worked on Sons of the Edisto—my book—for six and a half years.

By the Drink was an experimental piece as I originally incorporated play script writing. I did not see anything similar to  what I had written until I read F. Scott Fitzgerald‘s This Side of Paradise. By then, I had already stripped the style of writing out and replaced it with dialogue.

I had sent the story to a few journals, and received very encouraging rejections. It became the story I wanted to see published the most. I kept editing and making changes.

The story was, without planning, my first to feature satire. It captured sarcasm; a part of my personality not seen in my historical fiction. The second major editing I undertook last fall and winter was to eliminate the amount of sarcasm. As I improved the story, it evolved.

By the Drink finally made the next round.

I am thankful Blue Ridge Literary Prose’s editors had faith in my story. I hope you will click on the hyperlink above and check out other authors and poets’ wonderful work.

Tagged: , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “By the Drink Published

1. robincoyle December 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM Reply

I love your line, “encouraging rejections.” That is positive thinking!

Congratulations to you on being published!

• rtd14 December 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM Reply

I have seen different kinds of rejections, and I thought it was a good thing when a literary magazine tells how your story stood out, that they liked it, and they want you to send another piece. Being published takes time. Thank you, Robin!

2. Vikki (The View Outside) December 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM Reply

CONGRATULATIONS honey! :)

• rtd14 December 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM Reply

Thank you so much, Vikki! I appreciate it! I am still learning, and your blog teaches me more every time I read!

3. Elliot December 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM Reply

Congratulations on being published again :)

• rtd14 December 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM Reply

Thank you, Elliot! I really appreciate the support! :)