The Bannisters: A New Beginning

Part 4 of The Bannisters

April 1877

Joey Langston tried to forget his wife. When his daughter, Adelaide, moved from Missouri to Bamberg; the memories returned. She looked just like her: fawn eyes and dark brown hair. Little ringlets brushed Adelaide’s neck. Mrs. Langston liked ringlets.

An occupying Union soldier stopped Mrs. Langston on the way home one afternoon in September 1875. He took her in an unoccupied wood building. The man raped and slit her throat.

In his grief, Joey Langston could say little. If he complained too much, the Union officers would view him as a Southern sympathizer. He would be judged unfaithful to the country for which his only son fought and died.

“People are going west looking for a new life,” Joey said to his restaurant cook, Oliver Bannister. “They’ll only find more war with the Indians.”

“War is the worst thing to have happened to us,” Oliver, now 20, replied. “I’m glad I never had to go.”

“That blasted war took everything: unity, your father and my only boy. Well, we’ll build a new world here now that those soldiers are leaving.”

Joey stood over Oliver as he sawed a piece of wood for a house skeleton.

“Stop,” Joey said. “You’re doing it all wrong, son.”

Taking the saw, Joey showed Oliver the correct way to work the wood like he had as a boy on the frontier when he helped his father build his childhood home. Oliver had no father to teach him how to work with tools.

Joey looked at the man who he remembered running around his fat mother in his kitchen many years ago. Oliver had learned how to fish, grow a garden and cook. No one taught him the things a man should know. The boy would not have survived a Missouri winter, Joey thought.

Oliver was all Joey had in the way of a son. He would soon marry Adelaide in the summer.

Oliver took to hammering a nail into two pieces of wood. Joey looked at him. The boy and his daughter would hopefully produce strong grandchildren to whom he could leave his restaurant. Oliver could grow into more of a man with Joey’s guidance. The Union soldiers would leave Bamberg, and Joey would know happiness again.

By R.T. Dickinson

The Bannister Histories follows the family story of JD Bannister—a central character in Sons of the Edisto—and his father, Andrew. Oliver Bannister is the unlikely patriarch of what will later become a family fighting for power within itself.

The Aftermath

The Boy with No Mother

The Family Owned

© 2006-2013 by R.T. Dickinson. All rights reserved. No part of this blog, The Bannisters,
Sons of the Edisto, Red Loam, manuscripts or related material may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of R.T. Dickinson.

6 thoughts on “The Bannisters: A New Beginning

1. Vikki (The View Outside) January 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM Reply

Wow! Is that based on a true story Becca?

• rtd14 January 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM Reply

Thank you, Vikki!

This particular segment of the Bannister story is inspired by history during the American Reconstruction period. I know that sounded so academic and boring.

I wanted to find a way to share my book, Sons of the Edisto, on the blog without giving away the complete story. The novel is inspired by actual history and my grandfather’s youth in the 1920s.

Since beginning the book 6 1/2 years ago, I wrote seven prescripts, or back stories, that chornicle the family history of my main characters in Sons of the Edisto. For the purpose of the blog, I created About Sons of the Edisto and a Families of Sons of the Edisto page.

The back stories also spawned a story collection. I’ve been lucky to have two of those stories published.

One of my favorite characters in this whole universe of Sons of the Edisto is my bad guy, Andrew Bannister. Oliver is his father. I created his story to show how he could become what he is.

I know that is a long answer to your question. I appreciate your support. I’ve wanted to share more of my series like this, but I fell off the track since the summer when I wrote the last one.

• Vikki (The View Outside) January 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Wow!

I’m finding that I’m really drawn to fiction that is based on real historical events or characters. It’s something I want to experiment with myself :)

• rtd14 January 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I majored in History, and wrote more as a student then than as an English minor. I was so intrigued by events and emotions left out of history.

What is your favorite time or place in history? What interests you?

• Vikki (The View Outside) January 7, 2013 at 4:11 AM

I LOVE the Victorian period, always have done! And recently I discovered why. Will be doing a post about it soon ;)

2. Writing Goals in 2013 « A Word or More January 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM Reply

[...] I continue to share background stories: The Bannisters: A New Beginning. [...]