Get Lost Sometimes

“Love, I get so lost sometimes. Days pass and this emptiness fills my heart.

When I want to run away, I drive off in my car.

But whichever way I go

I come back to the place you are.

… In your eyes, I see the doorway to a thousand churches.

In your eyes, the resolution of all the fruitless searches

In your eyes, I see the light and the heat.” Peter Gabriel, In Your Eyes

When I first listened to Gabriel’s song years ago, I was not sure what kind of love he was writing about. Just as a reader looks deep into a good book, I do the same with lyrics.

The song came on the radio today. I realized the song could be about a relationship that has lasted beyond the first flames of a relationship. It is one that has grown up a little; one in which you have to walk away from stress. But, you come back and realize how much you do love that person.

John, my husband, has shared me with writing. It tests his patience. Sometimes he does not understand why I need to jot or edit a scene at a certain time. This song reminds me how important writers’ significant others are in life.

Some days John needs to drive off and he returns. We laugh, smile and I put down the pen.

Dedicated to Writers’ boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands and wives

Photos by Rebecca T. Dickinson

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Get Lost Sometimes

1. Vikki Thompson March 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM Reply

Fantastic pictures honey!

I’ve nominated you for the Illuminating Blogger Award!

Please don’t feel obligated to accept though ;)

X

• rtd14 March 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM Reply

Vikki, thank you very much! I accept it, and I’ll probably post later next week! :)

2. Jennifer M Eaton March 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM Reply

Funny, I did not recognize the lyrics as that song until you told me. I thought it was a poem you wrote. Isn’t it funny how different something sounds when you take away the music? I think that is one of the best love songs of all time. It haunts you. The perfect combination of raw emotional words and deep inspirational melody.

• rtd14 March 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM Reply

I am in love with words. Part of what I hope to do with my every other Thursday and Friday posts is to share words. This song still comes on the radio so much, and I feel like I’ve just begun to understand its meaning. You’re right. It provides the beautiful combination of words and music.

Thank you again, Jennifer!

3. robincoyle March 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM Reply

I thought it was a poem you wrote too. And then I remembered the movie “Say Anything” with that great boom box scene.

• rtd14 March 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM Reply

I have not seen “Say Anything,” but it seems like this song still comes on the radio all the time. Thanks Robin!

MilkshakesInSpring

CURNBLOG

Movies, thoughts, thoughts about movies.

The Red Pen of Doom

Conventional wisdom about writing is conventionally wrong.

adoptingjames

Read our Mission. Find out how you can help us adopt James.

Meals on Three Burners

I shop. I cook. I feed a family of six and I write.

The Original Journal Project